Image courtesy google images
As part of the Book reviews program ,I received Zomato restaurant guide 2012 . This handy guide for food lovers has been published by Hachette India for ten major Indian cities , namely, Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi NCR,Pune,Bangalore,Ahmedabad,Jaipur, Chennai, Chandigarh , Hyderabad .
Zomato a website live since 2008,has proved to be a useful tool for food lovers all over.This book is another feather in their cap with its easy to refer layout .
The Zomato restaurant guide for Mumbai is what I received and I loved the feel of the book I was holding. It can easily be carried in my bag is what I thought .The listings are based on popular choice and restaurant reviews provided by food lovers like me. After the editor's note, there is a quick reference guide on how to use the book in selecting a restaurant .
About 200 must visit restaurants are classified under various categories,for example,Asian and Oriental,Dining with kids ,Home delivery,Night life and clubs etc. One can choose the category of restaurant one desires to visit and then go on to the icon which states whether the place serves vegetarian or non vegetarian food,is a dine-in or a bar .Each listed restaurant information is provided next .The location,contact details,special features,and most importantly typical cost for meals is indicated alongside.
User ratings and reviews are particularly useful in selecting a dining place. There is a QR code which can be scanned by one's smart phone to view the restaurant menu beforehand. Restaurants that provide special privileges to Citibank card holders are also indicated for the benefit of patrons.
The Mumbai guide lists budget places,mid range eateries as well as notable restaurants. I loved going through the descriptions of popular places particularly because ratings in the book matched mine. I even tried an Italian restaurant ,family in tow and I must say we all loved the experience.
What I missed in the book
- I looked out for few good places which did not find a mention like Melting Pot Juhu ,a popular VFM restaurant or White in the suburbs,Saffron spice,Grillopolis to name a few but then, it is not possible to include all and still keep the book small and handy.
- Area wise listing of restaurants
- Valet parking information
- A very important information about the restaurant catering to party needs or providing a party hall could have been included
-Also, small print of user reviews made reading a little difficult for me.
What I liked in the book
- The convenient packaging
- Look and feel
- Beautiful photographs
- Categories like night life or street food which is so important for a city like Mumbai
- The QR codes ,a smart way to scan the menu of the restaurant beforehand.
- The user ratings and reviews
- The classification and a separate alphabetical listing of the restaurants.This will make the search for a restaurant easy for the user.
This book is a commendable attempt at providing users a practical guide to restaurants across Mumbai. I am happy to say that Zomato guide 2012 pleases me as much as the zomato.com website.
Price - 199 (149 at Flipkart)
This review is part of Book review Program by Blogadda..